Saturday, September 18, 2010

Religion and the Boundries

For some of you that may know, I am a pretty spiritual person. Yes, I have asked the Lord for forgivness and I have made my pact to read from the Book of the good Father.

However, I am compelled today to make some observations and see what comes back to me. I am hoping that many will actually respond to this Blog today and over the next several days to gauge what I have come to learn a church is.

1) Is a church a place of worship? Where the "Body of Christ" can come together and fellowship in the belief of the Lord?
2) Is the Church a Body of people with a common goal to bring salvation to thoughs whom want it and to support them through the community?
3) Is the Church a place to raise new believers in Christ at any cost to move forward to spread the good news?
4) Is the Church a place where families can go to be counciled in their family lives and give up control of their families and homes to better themselves to meet the needs of the church or relationship?
5) Is the church a place where the children get involved in groups and fellowship with others from the church and be led to believe that all other ways are not righteous?
6) Can we draw a line that the church requires that a tith be no less than 10% of Gross Earnings and nothing less is blessed as much?
7) Do you agree church should have requirements in place that you meet specific tith goals and that they be met to be truly blessed and a full member of the church?
8) Do you believe that a Pastor should minister on Sundays and be NON accessable to members unless they follow protocols and meet with Elders first?
9) Do you feel that if a family (or a member of a family) if they have zero financial control.. The church should step in and make arrangements to have a church member handle such finances and make sure all required funds and payments are met. All other funding be tithed or a larger percentage be tithed?

I really hope I get feedback on this blog. I would love to hear as MANY thoughts as possible.

1 comment:

  1. I realise that i may not be the most appropriate person to comment. Particularly as i do not follow any particular religion myself. Born Greek Orthodox, but choosing to live my life with a simple belief in Karma. I'm not a Buddhist or anything like that. I simply try my best to follow the 10 Commandments and be good to others. To show compassion, be respectful of others' beliefs and to live life without regrets. Occasionally, i slip up, but i'm only human :-)

    1) I believe that is the purpose of a church. Sadly, i do not believe it necessarily used that way. In some churches, persecution of "outsiders"/judging others seems to be the activity of choice. Lets not forget the various cases of abuse towards children that have taken place in church and by the very people put in place to spread the word of God.

    2) Yes, i can agree with this statement. Although, i have felt the church does not open it's arms to all (all the time).

    3) I'm not sure i can agree with this... The part where you mention "at any cost". I know people who have found God and found happiness. But i also know people who have found God and felt riddled with guilt (despite His forgiveness).

    4) I believe Church is a place where families should be able to go to receive support and advice. However, I do not believe there should be a monetary price for this help. Why would someone need to "give up control" of their home or family? Is it not possible to improve their lives/relationships whilst still rejoicing in the lord and spreading the word of God.

    5) Yes, i believe Children should be brought up to get involved in groups but it doesn't have to be at the church. As for "being led to believe that all other ways are not righteous", well it kinda depends on what you are referring to... Are you referring to others choice of religion? Others choice of lifestyle? I'm not sure i understand your question.

    6) Why does it have to be about money? This is my main problem with some religions. That its all about money. What happened to giving as much as one is capable of. If someone is in debt and making large repayments, should they still give 10% of gross earnings? I don't believe God would want the church to take food from peoples mouths.

    7) Sure, it's healthy to have goals and targets, but what happens if someone cannot contribute as much as the church would like? What if the tith (10%) is not covered? Will the church abandon them? Why should anything less be blessed less?

    8) I don't really have any view on this question, but if the Pastor is stretched because so many people wish to see him, then i don't see any reason why a process cannot be put in place. Perhaps a process that honestly evaluates the urgency of request to meet with him (and again, i don't think this should be attached to who can pay the most).

    9) See point 6... And i don't see any reason why a church member should handle the finances of a person unless that person has asked for assistance in managing their finances.

    Mr Stein, i hope you will see my response here as nothing more than my views and feelings towards the questions raised. As i said at the beginning, i may not be the best person to respond but if you wanted honest feedback, then that is what i'm giving.

    I wish you well in life and hope you get more feedback on your blog.

    Xen

    ReplyDelete